Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Steps to Simplifying Your Life

So I've been thinking that I have a lot of things. Things I don't always use. I saw this list of ways to simplify your life and thought I might share them...here's to a simpler, more organized, less stressful life!

Steps to Simplifying Your Life
  1. Learn to Say No
    This is a big one for me. I want to be helpful to others and serve, but there is a time and place to say no. This is going to be something I work on more this year. If you feel guilty about saying no, suggest an alternative.
  2. Create a Place for Everything (and everything in its place)
    I LOVE organization products. Having everything in its place so I know where to find it is a dream come true for me. This is evidenced by my color coordinated, season organized closet, as well as my desk organizer full of office supplies. To have everything in a certain place makes your life less stressful and you are able to save time when trying to find particular items.
  3. Pay Bills Automatically
    I don't always do this, but some of my bills are withdrawn from my checking account automatically. I receive an e-mail statement a few days before the money will be withdrawn and then it's taken care of! You don't have to worry about having enough checks or stamps to pay your bills this way.
  4. Stop Being a Slave to E-mail
    Apparently, the average person spends about seven hours a week on e-mail. SEVEN HOURS?! Yikes. This is something I definitely need to improve upon. Though my e-mails are organized by color tabs in gmail, I still seem to have an overflow of e-mails every day. An idea for those who have e-mail subscriptions, create a different account for those e-mails so your personal e-mail inbox will not be overflowing.
  5. Clean Your Closets
    I've already gone through my closet twice this year getting rid of items I no longer wear or use. I'm thinking it needs to become a more regular thing for me, because oftentimes I'll end up making some excuse or another for keeping an item. It's hard to be ruthless with my wardrobe, but keeping in mind that I donate my items to Goodwill or Salvation Army makes the letting go a bit easier. Having fewer items in your closet makes it easier to choose your outfit for the day. Another idea? Wreak havoc on your closet and completely commit to getting rid of those items that don't fit, feel funny/uncomfortable, aren't used, etc. After you collect these items, get together with a friend or a few and have a clothing exchange. I did this recently with a friend from work and while we both didn't keep all of the clothes we received in our trade, we did get some new-to-us items for free. =) It's a lot of fun!
  6. Invest in Smarter Lighting
    I haven't done this yet, but it seems like a great idea. Compact fluorescent lightbulbs use 75 percent less energy than regular bulbs, are better for the environment and last ten times longer than incandescent bulbs.
  7. Save Time with Speed Dial
    I have my favorite contacts saved in speed dials, but haven't thought to include important numbers such as my doctor, dentist, favorite take-out spots, etc. 
  8. Book Ahead
    This makes sense. It's easier to plan to accomplish something if you book it in advance. Tip: There is a shorter waiting time for appointments made at the beginning of the day or after the office's lunch break. 
  9. Prep Your Gym Bag
    A great idea for people who want to spend more time at the gym, but make excuses not to. When I lived on campus during undergrad, I had some physical education classes I took voluntarily so I could work out regularly. When I didn't have those classes in my schedule, it was so much harder to get to the gym...and it was only about a five minute walk away! Shameful I know. If you pack your clothing, shoes, water bottle, etc. ahead of time and take it with you to work, school, etc. you will have less reason to make excuses as everything you need is right there!
  10. Stock Your Desk
    I've never had a problem with not having enough office supplies, as I am a pen/notepad/marker/highlighter/etc. freak. Other great ideas to keep stocked at your office or in your backpack are hand lotion, pain medication, kleenex, and contact solution.
  11. Clean Out Your Purse
    Doing this regularly can really help you cut out the clutter. Get rid of wrappers, receipts, grocery lists, and other trash that gets lost in your purse on a daily basis.
  12. Ask for a Helping Hand
    This is a struggle for most people. I have a bit of a control issue so I like to do things myself to make sure it gets done the way I like. If you're like me you may need to let a bit of control go and delegate tasks to group members or members of your household.
Hope some of these ideas help! Have a great week!

With love,
Amanda

    1 comment:

    1. Hi Amanda! I really enjoyed this post. I have been in a contemplative state of how to simplify my life as well. I also have a hard time saying no, but I've been working on this the past year or so and things have gotten better! Hang in there, and you'll find you have more breaths each day. On another note, I really need to clean out my closet. Thanks for the reminder!

      Keep writing!

      Kevin

      ReplyDelete