Monday, June 13, 2011

Life Lately

Hello blog friends!

I'm sorry it's been so long since I wrote...it's been a busy life lately: going to Ireland, classes, internship, work, and wedding planning, while missing my fiancé. My internship has been fantastic, especially the training and interacting with the faculty and staff on campus. I'm really excited about what I'll be learning throughout this year and have a feeling that I will definitely be challenged and grow from this experience. I want to become a more competent and empathetic social worker/therapist. I am so excited to work with the students!

Classes are enjoyable this summer. I just finished up my work for the Ireland study abroad class, and am enrolled in Substance Abuse and Research II classes. I'm working with my good friend Paul on our research project, which I am really excited about. We are studying the experiences of survivors of suicide, meaning those who have lost a loved one to suicide.

I was inspired to conduct this research by the loss of an incredible guy Jake and I were both friends with: Cory. We spent time with him earlier on the day he passed away and his death really affected me. I am doing this research as a sort of love project in honor of him. Miss you Cory!


Work is going well, although it's hard to squeeze in 10 hours during business hours with everything else going on. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to continue working with the staff at CRI and members of community organizations. It's been a terrific experience.

I went dress shopping for the wedding for the first time this past Saturday. What a fun, yet a bit overwhelming, experience! We went to a bridal shop in GR that had over 3,000 dresses! I tried 21 (ohmygoodness!) dresses on (taking pictures of each one--front and back--for later reference) and ended up finding two I like. I'm not 100% sold on either, but I'm really excited to continue shopping! Wedding planning is going pretty well also. We're hoping to lock down the date (and venue) when Jake visits in July.

I cannot wait to see him! This time of separation is really tough, but I know I'm growing and learning through it all. He recently moved into a condo with his brother Steve, which is really exciting for them. His new position at the church is going well and I'm really proud of him! I cannot wait to marry him...=)

Well I need to get to bed...another long day ahead of me tomorrow. Sweetdreams!

With love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment