Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 1 of Semester 4: Let's do this!

Welcome to the first week of classes ladies and gentlemen! How is it time for this already?! This summer flew by with all of the busyness of a regular school semester. This morning I find myself with a bit of extra time (darn it I could have slept in a bit longer!) to reflect on the lessons learned, the successes, and times enjoyed over the past few months.

This past summer I learned a lot about who I am right now and who I would like to become. I learned that it was okay to say no sometimes (and avoid over committing myself resulting in a burnout). However, I also learned that I need to be better about being completely open with my friends about my lack of availability due to all that is currently going on in my life. It's really hard for me to disappoint people so I tend to say "yes, I can do that...I will figure it out somehow" when it ends up working out that a supervisor switches my schedule or expects me to attend something all of a sudden, or I have homework that should be taking priority. That can be hurtful and disappointing, though it is not my intent. I promise to work towards being more open about my schedule demands.

I'm also learning to be more direct and open about sharing my opinions in a professional environment. I tend to go with the flow and my supervisor is encouraging me to speak up more. That's going to be a challenge, but one I look forward to meeting. I already have 3 clients on my caseload and I'm feeling really good about it. Case Management and Supervision is so helpful and I really look forward to utilizing it this year. As many professors say, supervision, supervision, supervision! It's key when learning how to become a better counselor and professional.

I'm learning to adjust to the idea that Jake won't be here this year. Today has been a bit challenging, as I realize there will be no weekly date or homework sessions together this year. However, I know that I have a lot to accomplish in the next 9 months, with my Master's of Social Work graduation and wedding (move and job searching also) coming up. The time by myself to focus on me, my education, preparing to be a Godly wife, and my relationship with God really is a blessing. I need to remember that when it's hard to be apart from my best friend.

God's been doing some amazing things and He will continue to do so. I have such a good feeling about this next year of my life (and for the rest of the time I'm here too lol). I will be graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, a Master's of Social Work degree, and married to my best friend all by June 10, 2012 at the age of 24. It's beautiful to me to see how God has orchestrated every piece, preparing my heart and Jacob's for the time ahead of us.

Let's be honest. I probably won't be blogging as often these next few months. Fall semester holds 3 classes (in addition to my seminar and field placement, which counts as a class), internship, Graduate Assistant position, planning a wedding, and hopefully making strides toward becoming a healthier overall person. It's going to be pretty busy. If I do get a chance, I want to write whenever possible. It's freeing and puts things in perspective for me. To all of my friends returning to school and beginning classes soon, blessings on your school year and remember to soak up every moment. To my friends not returning to school, whether it's the first time or not, blessings on your year at work or whatever else you may be doing, be it moving, planning a wedding, preparing for a baby, or finding out what God's next step is for you. I love and cherish you all!

With love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment